7.01.2013

Bok Choy, Kohlrabi, and Apple Slaw



You may have noticed that things have been pretty quiet around here lately. We just moved, and I simply couldn't keep up with a blog and a move at the same time. But we are now more or less settled and I'm hoping you'll see a little more of me. I'm writing now from the blissful peace of a coffee shop; my husband is giving me some much needed "me time" after a very busy month!

We are a part of a CSA again this year, and we're loving it! Fresh, local, organic veggies, a great community of people, a farm that cares about urban renewal (one of their locations is an abandoned outlet mall parking lot!). So much to love! There is only one thing I'm not loving: bok choy. It's good in stir fry or fried rice, but I'm not in love with it enough to do that multiple times per week. And I'm the only one who likes it in our family, which means I'm really on bok choy overload.

I've been scouring the internet for ideas, and this one inspired me. I added some kohlrabi that was also lingering in the fridge, and it added a nice crunch. It may not be apple season, but I'm totally okay splurging on some out-of-season organic apples to round out this mostly-seasonal dish.

And it got husband approval. Win!

Bok Choy, Kohlrabi, and Apple Slaw

Ingredients:
1/2 a large head of bok choy, thinly sliced
1 medium kohlrabi, peeled and julienned
1 apple, cored and julienned
1/4 c. sliced green onions (white and green parts)
1/2 cup of plain, whole milk yogurt
1/4 cup of sour cream
2 T. white wine vinegar
1 T. honey
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. unrefined sea salt
black pepper to taste
1 T. poppy seeds

Combine vegetables in a large bowl. Whisk together remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Toss dressing with vegetables. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before serving.

(Note: Carrot and celery would be a great addition, as in the original recipe. I didn't have any but I might add some next time.)

What do you like to do with Bok Choy?


**This is part of Wellness Wednesday! **

Like what you just read? Subscribe so you don't miss a thing!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this on Wellness Wednesday! I don't think I've ever had kholrabi before. What does it taste like?

    ReplyDelete